Established in 2010

Friday, September 3, 2010

Pelmet Box: Guest (My Sister!) Post

Growing up I was always the creative sister, but I will say my baby sister has definitely taken the reigns now as adults.  Feeling inspired by Emily's DIY spirit, I decided to create pelmet boxes using the how-to guide by Little Green Notebook.  She did a cute scalloped look - I just wanted a basic line to add a little something to my entry way & kitchen.

Here are the tools needed to make these:
  • Fabric
  • Trim
  • Heavy Foam Core Board
  • Duct Tape
  • Fabric Glue
  • Staple Gun
  • Glass of Wine (optional but encouraged)


First measure your window and determine the necessary size for your foam board.  On the guide, it didn't really tell you how to cut the foam board. I honestly used a serrated kitchen knife.  So however you want, cut to the correct size then duct tape (yes, duct tape) together.  You'll also need to cut the sides to create depth.


Here is a closeup of my side.  Penny my poodle supervised from her bed.

Next, line with batting and staple the ironed fabric.  To make it more polished, I lined the back of the pelmet box with fabric as well.




Here we go... ready for trim and hooks.



Next, fabric glue the trim.



Then add key hole hooks to the back with epoxy glue or with fabric glue. I made two of these and both glues worked really well. Last but not least hang and admire your hard work. 


There you have it!  All in all this took me about two hours for each pelmet box with Penny's supervising, of course.

Cheers from the Middle Sis!  

No comments:

Post a Comment